The Coca-Cola Company provided promotional consideration for my participation in this program. All opinions and content are my own.
Coca-Cola made a big splash at ESSENCE Festival 2015! The weekend was full of foodie experiences like the Coke Crawl, which included visits to restaurants around the city, and the cooking demonstrations at the Coca-Cola booth at the Convention Center. My favorite had to be when Chef Huda made Turkey Sausage Pasta Jambalaya center stage at the Coca-Cola booth. I wanted to jump onto the stage and grab a bite! It inspired me to do what I do best; go home and make it with a ShesGotFlavor kinda twist! I started out by using chicken sausage instead of turkey, and then began thinking how delicious salmon would taste with the sauce! The rest is delicious history! The flavors in this dish will give you a feeling similar to when your favorite slow jam comes on and you just rock, feel good and enjoy the moment!
Chicken Sausage and Salmon Pasta Jambalaya
1 box Bow tie pasta
2-3 3-5 oz. filets of Salmon
1 13 oz. package of Chicken Sausage sliced
2 cups fresh spinach
¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
Corn Starch mixture (4 tbsp. water + 2 tbsp. corn starch)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 ½ cup chicken stock
1 medium size red bell pepper, sliced
2 tbsp. granulated garlic
Sea Salt (1 tbsp. for pasta, ½ tsp. until desired taste at end)
Extra virgin olive oil (1 tbsp. for pasta, ½ tbsp. for salmon,1 tbsp. to Dutch oven,)
READY, SET GO:
- Cook pasta per instructions on back of box, season with granulated garlic, sea salt and extra virgin olive oil and set aside
- Season salmon with steak seasoning and extra virgin olive oil and broil for 8-10 minutes, cut into chunks and set aside
- While salmon is broiling, add extra virgin olive oil to Dutch oven or large sauce pot over high heat so pot gets really hot, add chicken sausage to pot and turn heat down to medium, once chicken sausage is browned, remove chicken sausage and set aside
- Add red bell peppers to pot and sauté for 5-7 minutes, add in chicken stock and heavy whipping cream and allow to cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes, then add in corn starch mixture to thicken and allow to cook another 1-2 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Add the pasta, chicken sausage and salmon chunks, scallions and spinach to pot with red bell peppers and sauce, fold together gently, taste and if needed add ½ tsp at a time of sea salt until you reach desired taste and allow to cook for 5-8 minutes
- Add ¼ cup of Asiago cheese and gently fold together OR add 2-3 tsp of Asiago cheese to each plate
WATCH THIS TEASER:
Sizzle Sizzle Baby
Shes Got Flavor
Wanna try CHEF HUDA’S TURKEY PASTA JAMBALAYA from Coke Essence Fest? Here you go:
1 box of Penne pasta or pasta of choice
1 pound smoked turkey sausage
2 cups tomatoes – medium diced
2 cups fresh spinach – thinly cut
2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
1/2 cup green bell pepper
1/2 cup yellow or red peppers
1/2 red onions- thinly sliced
1 clove garlic – minced
1 1/2 cup tomato juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Fresh parsley to garnish
Cayenne pepper (optional)
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and cook pasta according to directions on box. When done drain. Do not rinse. While the pasta is cooking, in a separate large saucepan over medium high heat, add in olive oil. Once oil is hot cook garlic for about a minute, then add in peppers, onion, half of the Cajun seasoning and sausage and cook for about 3 minutes. Then add in tomatoes, spinach, tomato juice and the remaining Cajun seasoning. Let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Taste and add in salt or pepper, if needed. When pasta is done, combine the pasta with veggie mixture. Allow you pasta and sauce to get friendly for a few minutes before serving.
Now, let’s make something Pretty and Delicious! To plate serve family style and top with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
I like Chicken Sausage and Salmon Pasta
No, you cannot possibly call this jambalaya without oregano and tomatoes. No.