I cannot go to New York without stopping by the vendor on the corner of 35th and 6th Avenue in Manhattan to grab me a juicy steak gyro! I recall the first time I had one. Hubby and I were there taping the Dr. Oz show and we decided to grab a bite on the go after the show. Man oh man were we happy we did! We both ordered a steak gyro and it was sooooooo freakin frat good that I had to go home and replicate this goodness. Traditionally the sauce on a gyro is made with yogurt but I made mine just a bit different and fell in love all over again. I have a special love affair with food and this recipe is in my top list of go to quick and delicious dinners! Did I mention how excited my kids get when I say I am making these for dinner! Yep, the kiddos love em’ too! I hope you and your friends and family enjoy as well. Remember to Share the flavor love!
oh yeah baby!!
it doesn’t take much to make all this goodness
whew this is a good steak gyro!!
JUICY STEAK GYRO
STEAK GYRO INGREDIENTS:
5-6 pounds boneless eye steak (or any marbleized steak on sale)
¼ cup sherry wine (or any red wine)
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
3 tsp. granulated garlic
4-6 Naan flat breads
2-3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (to cook steak)
¼ tsp. extra virgin olive oil for each Naan flat bread
CREAMY SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
½ cup Mayo (I use Hellman’s)
2 ½ tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. of lime juice
¼ cup chopped cilantro
2 medium tomato (diced w/seeds)
½ tsp. granulated garlic
2 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. dried thyme
Ready, Set, Go:
- Clean and cut steak into thin slices/chunks
- Marinate steak in sherry wine and Worcestershire sauce for minimum of 30 minutes and maximum 24 hrs.
- Season steak with sea salt, ground black pepper and granulated garlic
- Add extra virgin olive oil to grill pan over medium/high heat and add steak, then turn heat down to medium and grill steak for 10-15 minutes (you may have to do two batches – keep the 1st batch warm by placing in oven on 150-170 degrees until the second batch is done)
- LET’S MAKE THE CREAMY SAUCE! In a bowl fold together the Mayo, extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, diced tomatoes, sea salt, ground black pepper, granulated garlic and dried thyme
- Brush Naan bread with extra virgin olive oil and grill in same grill pan used for steak (do not wash drippings it adds flavor to the Naan bread when grilling)
- LET’S MAKE THE STEAK GYROS! Place steak in center of each Naan bread, top with lettuce and cream sauce, fold Naan bread over on both sides to eat gyro
INDULDGE, ENJOY and above all SAVOR THE FLAVOR!!!!
TIP1: Wrap gyros in Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil to hold gyros together
TIP2: You can use this same recipe with baked chicken
Sizzle Sizzle Baby