The season of Fall and Football is upon us and nothing goes better with Fall and Football than mouthwatering chili! Johnsonville makes a ground Italian Sausage that I love to use in spaghetti so I decided to try it in my chili! OMG I was so happy I did! It was full of flavor. This recipe was part savory from the Italian Sausage and part sweet from the cranberries! It was the perfect combination. Hubby and the kids loved it! The best part is we were able to have left overs for two days and honey these flavors taste better and better the longer they get a chance to mesh together!
Oh yeah baby!
Best Football Game Day Comfort Food Ever!
SLOW COOKER ITALIAN AND SAUSAGE AND CRANBERRY CHILI
- 2 pounds Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage (or spicy if you like it hot)
- 1 medium Vidalia onion (diced)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (diced)
- 2 15.5 ounce cans of redskin kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 14 ounce cans of whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock (low sodium)
- ½ cup cabernet sauvignon red wine (or any red wine)
- ¼ cup sofrito
- 2 ½ tbsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1 ½ tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 – 4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 – 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 – 4 tbsp. dried thyme
- 1 – 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 2 – 4 tbsp. canola oil
- Cornstarch mixture (2 ½ tbsp.. cornstarch mixed with 3 tbsp. water)
- 2 tbsp. shredded cheese and chopped scallions per serving (optional)
READY, SET GO:
- Preheat slow cooker to low and set for 4-6 hours
- Heat canola oil in skillet over medium heat, add in Johnsonville Italian sausage, cook 4-5 minutes or until Italian sausage is browned
- Drain oil from Italian sausage and add in onion, red bell pepper, sofrito, sea salt, ground black pepper and thyme, allow to cook an additional 5 minutes to create sausage mixture
- Carefully add Italian sausage mixture to slow cooker, kidney beans, cranberry sauce, tomatoes, vegetable stock, cabernet, chipotle chili powder, cumin, and sugar, allow to cook for 4 hours, then add cornstarch mixture and stir, allow to cook an additional hour
- Enjoy – add cheese and scallions to top of each serving (optional)
Sizzle Sizzle Baby
“Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Johnsonville. However, the opinions expressed herein are absolutely those of the author (me ~ smile) and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Johnsonville.”
I picked the perfect day (yesterday) to make this chili! It was cold and a comfort food kinda day! BAYBAY! When I tell you it was amazing! Im not gonna lie, when I first read ALL the ingredients I was a bit skeptical, but I trust Mrs. She’s Got Flavor’s tastebuds. So I knew there was a method to the madness. I used hot turkey sausage instead and prepped everything the night before. I threw it in the crockpot before leaving to go to work and it was amazingggggggggggg. I paired it with the Mexican Cornbread recipe listed below this one. OMG! I cant wait to get home to have more. It was a hit! Utokia, YOURE THE BOMB.COM!!!!!!
Awesome Sonya, so happy you loved it :O)
Combination of taste, I like a balanced diet, a variety of protein and vitamin supplements so that they will have good health. I really like. Like your articles, thank you and happy,I’m so grateful that people take time out of their busy schedules to respond to this space, so replying back to each person is the least I can do. I love that you have your grandmother’s notes and recipes and that they are treasured! Recipes are like a legacy that we pass down from one generation to the next. It’s powerful!
So true Fanny, thank you for visiting