St. Patrick’s Day is approaching! It just would not be the same without corn beef and cabbage!! This dish is not something I cook year round however, it is that special St. Patrick’s Day treat! It is so juicy and flavorful! As a bonus I use the crock pot for this dish and since I used the Reynolds Slow Cooker Liner – I am not slaving over an oven nor am I scrubbing pots! YES, TWO home runs!!
Hope you enjoy! Please do not forget to LIKE my FB FAN page on my HOME PAGE and SUBSCRIBE to my blog to receive flavorful recipes via email. AND let us not forget about TWITTER!
CROCK POT CORN BEEF & CABBAGE
3 pound corn beef brisket + (Pickling seasoning that comes with brisket)
3 cups beef broth
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup cream sherry
2 tbsp. dijon mustard
2 tbsp. honey
1 16 oz. bottle Guinness dark beer
1 half head of medium cabbage – thinly sliced
3 leeks chopped into about 2 inch pieces
6-8 small red skinned potatoes (whole with skin on)
1 16 oz. bag of baby carrots
Seasonings: sea salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, dried thyme and rosemary (1-2 tsp. each)
Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners
Medium to Large Crock Pot
Ready, Set Go
- Line crock pot with Reynolds Slow Cooker Liner and turn crock pot on high
- Clean corn beef brisket, add to lined crock pot and top with pickling packet
- Clean red skinned potatoes (leave whole with skin on), clean and chop leeks, clean baby carrots
- Add potatoes, leeks and baby carrots on top of corn beef brisket
- In a large bowl add the Dijon mustard, beef broth, beer, apple cider vinegar, cream sherry, honey, all seasonings and brown sugar to bowl and whisk, pour all over corn beef brisket and vegetables
- Allow to cook on low for 7 hours
- At the end of the 7th hour add the sliced cabbage and allow to continue cooking for 2 hours for a total cook time of 9 hours
- Carefully remove corn beef brisket and slice, add vegetables on top or on the side of corn beef brisket and pour a bit of the broth on top
- For easy clean up, carefully lift bag from crock pot, pour remaining broth in sink and toss Reynolds Slow cooker liner in the trash! Cleanup virtually eliminated! BAM!
Sizzle Sizzle Baby
“That’s How This Real Mom Does It”!
Can i use regular sherry or even marsala instead of the cream sherry??
Hi Anne Marie – YES you can use either regular Sherry or Marsala – my first choice would be the regular Sherry (love the flavor) … thank you for visiting – hope you visit often!
Sizzle Sizzle Baby
I forgot to buy Sherry!!!! Is that ok to omit or will it be ruined?
Hi Petria … no it will not ruin it … but the Sherry does add a nice flavor …
Will the bottle be labeled as ‘cream sherry’? Is it typically in the wine section? I looked today and couldn’t find. Thinking I’m just not certain what I’m looking for. Thanks!
Hi Angela the cream sherry can be found in the liquor store. Some grocery stores sell it that sell drinking wine but I buy mine from the liquor store.
How much liquid should this have in a standard size crock pot? Enough to cover the potatoes?
Yes Kate just enough to cover the potatoes. Enjoy